[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Python dependencies: PyPI vs distro packages

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 23:51:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 10:10:09AM -0300, Monty Taylor wrote:
> I don't think we will gain much by auto-generating packages.

What really is the difference between devstack auto-generating a
package and having a human basically doing the same thing and sticking
it in a repo?  It just seems unreliable.

Using the "anvil" approach, it seems pacakges that can be souced from
repos (either main, or add-on like RDO or the Ubuntu equivalents) will
be, and others built automatically.

Over time, the latest releases of RDO (or any other OpenStack
distribution) should be converging on devstack -- if it's going to
ship it will need those dependencies packaged eventually.  In fact,
devstack spitting out "I needed XYZ to build and you don't have them"
is probably very helpful to distributors?

If it doesn't, then you will be tending towards having every
dependency automatically built (your mini-distro scenario, I guess).
At some point, I think it's fair to say "hey, your distro doesn't
appear to be doing any useful distribution for OpenStack; you're not
supported until you catch up".

-i