[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Python dependencies: PyPI vs distro packages

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Aug 8 16:34:17 UTC 2013

On 08/08/2013 12:58 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 08/08/2013 02:10 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>>

>> On 08/05/2013 02:03 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
>>> [Moving a discussion from https://review.openstack.org/40019 to the ML
>>> to get a wider audience]
>>>
>>> We've been around this block more than once so let's get it all
>>> documented in one place and see where to go next.  Skip down to
>>> ############# for more actual discussion...
>>>
>>> Given:
>>> * OpenStack now has an official list of Python package versions
>>> required in https://review.openstack.org/p/openstack/requirements
>>> * This list is rarely completely available in any packaged Linux distro
>>> * Developers like new packages that fix their immediate problem
>>> * Packagers dislike the treadmill of constantly upgrading packages for
>>> many reasons (stability, effort, etc)
>>> * Running OpenStack on certain long-term-stability distros (RHEL6) is
>>> seriously a challenge due to the number of out-of-date components,
>>> specifically here many of the python-* packages.
>>> * Fedora and RHEL6 have a nasty configuration of telling pip to
>>> install packages into the same location as RPM-installed packages
>>> setting up hard-to-diagnose problems and irritating sysadmins
>>> everywhere.  FTR, Debian/Ubuntu configure pip to install into
>>> /usr/local and put '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages' ahead of
>>> '/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages' in sys.path.
>>> * Replacing setuptools on RHEL6 illustrated another issue: removing
>>> python-setuptools took with it a number of other packages that
>>> depended on it.
>>> * OpenStack devs are not in the packaging business.  This has been
>>> decided [citation required?].  Fortunately those in the packaging
>>> business do contribute to OpenStack (THANKS!) and do make a huge
>>> effort to keep up with things like the Ububntu cloud Archive and Red
>>> Hat's RDO.
>>>
>>> The last week or so of attempting to install Python prereqs from
>>> requirements.txt and installing pip 1.4 to support that rather than
>>> re-invent the wheel and all of the fallout from that illustrates
>>> clearly that neither approach is going to solve our problem.
>>>
>>> Summary of the discussion in the review (paraphrased, read the review
>>> to see where I got it wrong):
>>>
>>> * packages are evil: we develop and gate based on what is available in
>>> requirements.txt and a non-zero number of those are only in PyPI
>>> * Anvil solved this already: resolves requirements into the RPM
>>> package list and packages anything required from PyPI
>>> * ongoing worries about pip and apt/rpm overwriting each other as
>>> additional things are installed
>>> * packages are necessary:
>>>
>>> #############
>>>
>>> My specific responses:
>>>
>>> * proposals to use a tool to automatically decide between package and
>>> PyPI (harlowja, sdague):  this works well on the surface, but anything
>>> that does not take in to account the dependencies in these packages
>>> going BOTH ways is going to fail.  For example: on RHEL6 setuptools is
> [...]

I'd be more happy about depending on RDO - we already said that we're ok
with depending on Ubuntu Cloud Archive for Ubuntu flavors. Basically, I
don't want devstack to depend on repos that we don't think is reasonable
to tell end users who are going to deploy to actually depend on - but I
think UCA an RDO are reasonable to tell people they'll need if they want
to install from packages on those platforms.