[openstack-dev] Motion to start using Gerrit for TC votes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 8 08:55:58 UTC 2013

Monty Taylor wrote:
>> * How do we handle proxies ? Giving temporary +2 to a non-TC member
>> sounds like a bit of pain
>
> I do not think we'd need proxies anymore - as the vote wouldn't have to
> happen within the IRC meeting.

Maybe it's just me, but I usually wait for the meeting to actually make
my mind about a motion. I'm listening to the objections others raise and
sometimes discover they noticed something I missed, get convinced by
them and join them. That's why so many discussions end up with
consensus: a common TC position forms during the meeting.

I think that's a very good thing, and I would hate to lose that.
Encouraging pre-meeting/async vote on the code review sounds like a step
in losing this consensus mode in which we operated until now.

Proxying is not just about carrying a pre-determined vote and pasting it
on an IRC channel... It's about trusting someone to make the decision
you would have made if you had been present.

So I'd rather set up proxies with a temporary +2/-2 right than encourage
people to skip the meeting, the discussion and the opportunity to get TC
members consensus in our decisions.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)