[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Python dependencies: PyPI vs distro packages

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Aug 7 17:09:11 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-07 15:53:54 +0000 (+0000), Joshua Harlow wrote:
> I agree triple-o will help a lot here although I would disagree
> that package rollback is an illusion. I would call it more of a
> hard problem instead since nothing is really impossible :)
[...]

SCO OpenServer (shudder) for all its issues, actually didn't do a
half bad job of it. The Conary package manager takes a similar
approach, as have others. RPM/DEB style packages and the
corresponding management tools inherit from their parent operating
system designs a focus on efficiencies like static footprint and
memory consumption which make this a much harder problem (shared
libraries, shared interpreters, et cetera). The trend toward every
application in its own independent context does make the downgrade
problem much more tractable, though you still have issues like
un-transforming your data while still capturing any changes which
have been applied to it since migration.
--
Jeremy Stanley