[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Python dependencies: PyPI vs distro packages

Jay Buffington me at jaybuff.com
Tue Aug 6 23:22:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> On 08/06/2013 02:44 PM, Mate Lakat wrote:
> > I would say, use a separated virtual environment in devstack - without
> > the --system-site-packages switch, of course, and set it up as a user.
> > Install the packages that are needed in order to be able to pip install
> > them (like libxslt-dev). It's a development environment. I think my
> > email is equivalent to a +1 to (Monty's change + virtualenv).
>
> YUP - except we can't do it without system-site-packages, because of
> nova and libvirt. We should still be ok though with a single venv, as
> long as all of the installs into the venv use the -U flag to pip, which
> will override the system env with teh venv one.

I'm building my virtualenv without system site-packages.  It's super lame,
but my nova rpm has a dep on a specific version of  libvirt-python and then
includes these symlinks:

    ln -s /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py
$(VENV)/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
    ln -s /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt_qemu.py
$(VENV)/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
    ln -s /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirtmod.so
$(VENV)/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
    ln -s /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirtmod_qemu.so
$(VENV)/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

Why isn't libvirt-python on pypi?  AFAICT, nothing is stopping us from
uploading it.  Maybe we should just stick it on there and this issue
will be resolved once and for all.