[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Python dependencies: PyPI vs distro packages

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Aug 6 16:36:55 UTC 2013

On 08/06/2013 11:19 AM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> And that is the crux of the problem.  When both can be installed
> side-by-side and sys.path is in control of the order, things work.
> This is such a fundamental problem in the distro that I am beginning
> to thing that we need to address it ourselves.  Everything else is
> treating symptoms.

Are you aware of "Software Collections"? It's relatively new.

What Are Software Collections?

Software Collections is a way to concurrently install multiple versions
of specific software on the same system without affecting standard
software packages that are installed on the system with the classic RPM
package manager.

http://developerblog.redhat.com/2013/01/28/software-collections-on-red-hat-enterprise-linux/

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/Packagers_Guide/chap-Packagers_Guide-Introducing_Dynamic_Software_Collections.html

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Developer_Toolset/1/html/Software_Collections_Guide/