[openstack-dev] Blueprint for Nova native image building

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Aug 6 16:20:00 UTC 2013

On 08/06/2013 11:53 AM, Ian Mcleod wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A blueprint has been registered regarding API additions to Nova to
> enable the creation of base images from external OS install sources.
> This provides a way to build images from scratch via native OS installer
> tools using only the resources provided through Nova.  These images can
> then be further customized by other tools that expect an existing image
> as an input, such as disk image builder.
>
> Blueprint -
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/base-image-creation
>
> Specification - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaImageCreationAPI
>
> If this is a topic that interests you, please have a look (the spec is
> not very long) and join the conversation.
>
> Please note that this blueprint follows on from proof of concept work
> for native image building discussed on this list in April:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-April/007157.html

Thanks of the update on this work.

I see that your proof of concept shows how this can work as a tool
outside of Nova:

https://github.com/redhat-openstack/image-building-poc

So, my biggest question is whether or not it makes sense for this to be
a Nova feature or not.  If something can be implemented as a consumer of
Nova, my default answer is that it should stay outside of nova until I
am convinced otherwise.  :-)

It sounds like this is mostly an extension to nova that implements a
series of operations that can be done just as well outside of Nova.  Are
there enhancements you are making or scenarios that won't work at all
unless it lives inside of Nova?

If it doesn't end up on the server side, it could potentially be
implemented as an extension to novaclient.

--
Russell Bryant