[openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Future of nova's image API

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 19:17:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Roman Bogorodskiy <rbogorodskiy at mirantis.com
> wrote:

>   Joe Gordon wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > even though Glance, has been pulled out of Nova years ago, Nova still
> has a
> > images API that proxies back to Glance.  Since Nova is in the process of
> > creating a new, V3, API, we know have a chance to re-evaluate this API.
> >
> > * Do we still need this in Nova, is there any reason to not just use
> Glance
> > directly?  I have vague concerns about making Glance API publicly
> > accessible, but I am not sure what the underlying reason is
>
> From the end user point of view, images are strongly tied to
> logical models nova operates with, such as servers, flavors etc. So for
> an API user, it would be move convenient to manage all these in a
> single API, IMHO.

-1, I think Monty stated this well

"Honestly, I think we should ditch it. Glance is our image service, not
nova, we should use it. For user-experience stuff,
python-openstackclient should be an excellent way to expose both through
a single tool without needing to proxy one service through another."

We don't want nova to be the proxy for all other services, that
partially defeats the purpose of splitting them off.   We have better ways
of making everything look like a single API, such as:

* better python-openstackclient
* Make sure all services can run as one endpoint, on the same port.  So a
REST call to $IP/images/ would go to glance and a call to $IP/instances
would go to nova