[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Python dependencies: PyPI vs distro packages

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 17:03:07 UTC 2013

[Moving a discussion from https://review.openstack.org/40019 to the ML
to get a wider audience]

We've been around this block more than once so let's get it all
documented in one place and see where to go next.  Skip down to
############# for more actual discussion...

Given:
* OpenStack now has an official list of Python package versions
required in https://review.openstack.org/p/openstack/requirements
* This list is rarely completely available in any packaged Linux distro
* Developers like new packages that fix their immediate problem
* Packagers dislike the treadmill of constantly upgrading packages for
many reasons (stability, effort, etc)
* Running OpenStack on certain long-term-stability distros (RHEL6) is
seriously a challenge due to the number of out-of-date components,
specifically here many of the python-* packages.
* Fedora and RHEL6 have a nasty configuration of telling pip to
install packages into the same location as RPM-installed packages
setting up hard-to-diagnose problems and irritating sysadmins
everywhere.  FTR, Debian/Ubuntu configure pip to install into
/usr/local and put '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages' ahead of
'/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages' in sys.path.
* Replacing setuptools on RHEL6 illustrated another issue: removing
python-setuptools took with it a number of other packages that
depended on it.
* OpenStack devs are not in the packaging business.  This has been
decided [citation required?].  Fortunately those in the packaging
business do contribute to OpenStack (THANKS!) and do make a huge
effort to keep up with things like the Ububntu cloud Archive and Red
Hat's RDO.

The last week or so of attempting to install Python prereqs from
requirements.txt and installing pip 1.4 to support that rather than
re-invent the wheel and all of the fallout from that illustrates
clearly that neither approach is going to solve our problem.

Summary of the discussion in the review (paraphrased, read the review
to see where I got it wrong):

* packages are evil: we develop and gate based on what is available in
requirements.txt and a non-zero number of those are only in PyPI
* Anvil solved this already: resolves requirements into the RPM
package list and packages anything required from PyPI
* ongoing worries about pip and apt/rpm overwriting each other as
additional things are installed
* packages are necessary:

#############

My specific responses:

* proposals to use a tool to automatically decide between package and
PyPI (harlowja, sdague):  this works well on the surface, but anything
that does not take in to account the dependencies in these packages
going BOTH ways is going to fail.  For example: on RHEL6 setuptools is
0.6.10, we want 0.9.8 (the merged release w/distribute).  Removing
python-setuptools will also remove python-nose, numpy and other
packages depending on what is installed.  So fine, those can be
re-installed with pip.  But a) we don't want to rebuild numpy (just
bear with me here), and b) the packaged python-nose 0.10.4 meets the
version requirement in requirements.txt so the package will be
re-installed, bringing with it python-setuptools 0.6.10 overwriting
the pip installation of 0.9.8.
* separate proposal to build meta-packages (iwienand,
https://review.openstack.org/39862): this would be an effective
work-around for the problems on Fedora and RHEL6 and protect against
the re-install problem, but this is solving a distro packaging problem
in an upstream testing tool.  We would also need to manage these
individually and not in a single large package, or at least split
python-crypto and python-lxml out of the proposed package as they may
not be installed in all configurations.
* about-face on all-packages to all-PyPI (mtaylor): I'm still on the
use packages where possible side but DevStack specifically is not in
the packaging business.  If it were we'd do what Java folk (*sorry*)
have long taken the approach for non-trivial apps to just include the
whole damn runtime.  Write once duplicate everywhere.

I want to propose moving forward with the following guidelines:
* Keep a list of specific distro packages that we want to use in favor
of PyPI for specific reasons like not recompiling native modules, i.e.
python-crypto except on RHEL, etc
* Continue to factor the prereq setup out of stack.sh such that
requirements.txt is satisfied one way or another before it begins to
install OpenStack.  tools/install_prereqs.sh and tools/install_pip.sh
are the prototypes for this. Each distro gets a chance to get it right
here whether by package or by PyPI.

tl;dr: no easy solution

dt

--