[openstack-dev] [heat][ceilometer] Can you please confirm those basic assumptions?

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Tue Apr 30 23:32:59 UTC 2013

On 30/04/13 11:28 +0200, Patrick Petit wrote:
>Hi Angus and Steven,
>
>That is all good! I do share the opinion that we need to provide
>tools to register metrics via in-instance monitoring.
>So, I'd like to suggest that we take on us the client side as an
>application driven use case for the metrics monitoring API
>extensions. It sounds natural to align that CLI to the CloudWatch
>style of publishing metrics and setting alarms because that's the way
>it's going to be encoded in the Heat templates. If your are fine with
>this, our contribution will focus on producing an in-instance
>cfn-push-stats atop of a functional equivalent of the AWS
>PutMericData interface. That would be a starting point based on the
>principal of dependency inversion. Can you please let us know if you
>are fine with this and where / how to start?

Hi Patrick,

I have some work to do before it's worth getting stuck in.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26185/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26367/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/27691/ (more to follow here)

Also Ceilometer might just go for a native sample posting API and
not the AWS API. So in the short term hold off and I'll ping you
when we can progress a bit more.

-Angus