[openstack-dev] Qonos and Convection - merge projects?

Alex Meade alex.meade at rackspace.com
Mon Apr 29 21:24:28 UTC 2013

Just want to let you know that QonoS is still being actively developed by our team at Rackspace.
It's a service that is the basis for our proposed Nova Scheduled Images extension, which is nearing completion.
Other than the code (https://github.com/rackspace-titan/qonos), here's some basic docs on QonoS:
 https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Scheduled-images-service
and the Nova extension that uses it:
 https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova-scheduled-images-extension

The main goal of Qonos is to act as a distributed and scalable Cron service that can provide basic job error recovery. We are definitely interested in how Qonos can play a role in other parts of OpenStack.

It seems that the duties of Qonos and Convection only overlap in one area, job execution. atm Qonos has it's own way of executing a task but it seems like in the future it could make sense for Qonos to utilize a system like Convection to perform the work. Currently, Qonos performs this work ad hoc and we would like to move away from that model and a system like Convection makes a lot of sense there.

As we near completion of the scheduled images blueprint, Qonos should fall further into the sight of the OpenStack community.

-Alex