[openstack-dev] [Distros][Glance] Who's actually using glance-control?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 17:56:34 UTC 2013

On 04/26/2013 08:08 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently we've been discussing the need of glance-control and before
> doing anything "to it" I wanted to know who (if any) is using it and
> under what scenarios. OTOH, the only scenario for it would be service
> related scripts but it doesn't make much sense now. For example, Red
> Hat based distros are not using it:
>
> https://github.com/redhat-openstack/openstack-glance/blob/master/openstack-glance-api.service#L8
>
> Any feedback is appreciated!

Hi!

So, glance-control was brought over to Glance from Swift, where much of
Glance's original daemonization and configuration code came from. AFAIK,
glance-control is used in the functional tests inside Glance, but if
those functional tests were reworked to spawn the glance-registry and
glance-api service daemons some other way, then I don't believe you will
find much production usage of glance-control for starting up the Glance
services.

In Ubuntu packaging, glance-control is not used either:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/glance/precise/view/head:/debian/glance-api.glance-api.upstart

Best,
-jay