[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Splitting the Baremetal driver out of Nova

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 11:47:00 UTC 2013

On Apr 26, 2013 3:29 AM, "Mark McLoughlin" <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 11:57 -0700, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> > In the Nova "Baremetal Next Steps" design session last Thursday, I
proposed
> > that we split the baremetal driver out into its own top-level project -
> > this was met with support from everyone in the room. We then discussed
the
> > project's plans and how such a split should be done. I have written up
that
> > proposal in more detail here, and would like to bring this before the
TC.

> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BaremetalSplitRationale
>
> I'm all for the code being in a separate project - I think this thing
> could have users outside of Nova.
>
> I did work up an idea for how it could be done during Folsom
> development, but I actually was thinking of it just being a library:
>
>   https://gist.github.com/markmc/5466295
>
> Not much detail there, but BareMetalConnection/BareMetalNode would be in
> the library and BareMetalDriver would be the Nova part. I hadn't figured
> on this being a service with its own REST API, but perhaps that does
> make sense.

I thought about / discussed this with a few folks, but all the physical
bits don't seem to fit well in Nova's API, DB, or general paradigm.

> However, that does make me wonder whether we'd see desire to plug
> alternative baremetal provisioning technologies into that API, in the
> same way we see a desire for alternative backends to the Swift API.

Yes, exactly, and the code already supports pluggable power and imaging
drivers (and has more than one of each). I intend to add pluggable back
ends for discovery and firmware mgmt as well, but don't feel that fits
within Nova's scope.

> Finally, making this a service (with a yet undefined API) rather than a
> library makes me think the new project should go through an incubation
> period, rather than bypassing incubation the way Cinder did.

There is an extension to the nova API for managing baremetal nodes and
interfaces, which I plan to expand on. Does that count? :)

-Deva