[openstack-dev] [marconi] Development process adjustments

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Apr 26 00:22:49 UTC 2013

On 04/25/2013 05:17 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 25/04/13 09:59 -0700, Mark Washenberger wrote:
>>   It's definitely the case that more work needs to go into maintaining
>>   Glance's blueprint backlog. But I still wonder if something like Trello
>>   might have an appropriate role to play in our development process by
>>   representing the pipeline that transforms ideas into specified,
>>   approved, and targeted blueprints.
>>

> FWIW, I first used Trello when Marconi's development started and it
> has been helpful. My main concern about Trello is to not duplicate
> contents and make sure that what needs to be in launchpad *is* in
> launchpad.
>
> Trello has made Marconi's organization simpler (keep in mind that
> marconi's development _just started_). I don't know whether trello is
> the best tool out there or not, though.
>
> Also, I'm not saying projects should stop using launchpad but I do
> think that as far as our main tool (Launchpad) is up-to-date, projects
> should feel free to use whatever they think is best for them.

Honestly, dev on the launchpad blueprints feature stalled quite a while
ago, and I think the trello interest shows that there are, in fact, some
deficiencies that should be sorted out. Kurt gave some great feedback
the other day, and we've been collecting more and more of that
informally over drinks at bars with folks.

We've been trying to not open up too many big tooling cans of worms, and
I think that's been working so far - which is one of the reasons we
didn't do a summit session on the topic. BUT - we may be reaching
critical mass where we need to look more deeply into options.

I'll write up the things we've collected so far and publish them to a
wiki/blueprint so that we can start a proper conversation on the topic.

Monty