[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Baremetal] Project update

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 23:29:24 UTC 2013

At the Summit, I was amazed by the diversity of companies interested in
managing their physical infrastructure with the baremetal driver, and
thrilled to hear that some are already using it for new projects. So, I'd
like to say "Thanks!" to everyone who came up and shared their ideas and
experiences.

The first thing on our roadmap is adding PXE boot support to OpenStack
Networking. This was already underway and is progressing well; it should
simplify the baremetal deployment process substantially by no longer
requiring a separate dnsmasq process and thereby allow us to stop
performing file injection during the deploy.

We have several blueprints up for baremetal right now. Some were drafted
before the summit, and some came from discussions there; they're listed at
the end of this email and on the wiki. If you'd like to contribute to the
project by implementing one of these, please let me know so we can
coordinate the work among interested teams.

Also, during the design session on Thursday I proposed splitting the
baremetal driver out of Nova. That is now written up and awaiting the TC's
determination.

Regards,
Devananda

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/bare-metal-volumes