[openstack-dev] [nova][keystone] Message Queue Security

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Thu Apr 25 19:16:18 UTC 2013

One use-case I see this proposal failing to address is with cross-cell and cross-project messaging.

The cross-cell messaging is a legitimate concern and probably where some of this security is most desperately needed. Your present design seems to require a single, global service to drive communication and authority for all cells.

Secondly, cross-project messaging is a concern for the Ceilometer team. This is presently contentious amongst the RPC users and maintainers, and a matter of active discussion.  However, should that we seek to support this, it should be considered. Presently, all projects communicate via AMQP through a single control_exchange. ZeroMQ messaging happen over a unique TCP port per project. The messaging is clearly delineated, split between the projects.

In our proposed PKI model, this isn't a huge deal, because we can have a keyserver per project, per cell, or per project per cell. There will be devils in the details of implementing it, surely, but it isn't against the architectural design. If communicating to another project or cell, we can make the code reach into the right keyserver.  However, your proposal requires a tight coupling of peers / services that introduces complexity around scale that is not presently addressed.

Regards,
Eric Windisch