[openstack-dev] [nova][keystone] Message Queue Security

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 15:51:33 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 16:38 +0100, David Chadwick wrote:
> You answered your own question when you said
>
> "The problem is that crypto is hard, and considering all the
> implications of how algorithms interact is something few can master."
>
> So if you hard code in a single (set of) algoriths, and then a
> vulnerability is found in it (which happens all the time), then you are
> screwed because you have no alternatives to switch to.
>
> Some applications still have MD5 hard coded in, which is why many root
> CAs with MD5 are still configured into most browsers. And that provided
> the attack hole for APTs sending out "microsoft" updates with spoofed
> MD5 certs.

The thing is, unless you are asking for negotiating algorithms on the
fly, what is the difference from changing a configuration option and
patching a single python source file ?

Sure we can set the HMAC and encryption scheme in a config file, but due
to the networked nature of queues, it means you still have to manually
change this configuration on all hosts and restart the cloud.
I see no difference between doing that and patching all components and
restarting the cloud. Is there ?

I will look into making this configurable now anyway :)

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York