[openstack-dev] [Heat] Template repository location (infra guidance needed)

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 10:38:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 04:16:21PM -0500, Ziad Sawalha wrote:
> So will heat stop supporting cfn or will it continue to support it?

We absolutely will continue to support CFN template format, because we have
existing users who rely on this feature.

At some future point the there may be an internal conversion from
cfn->native/dsl/hot format, but atm our internal implementation is highly
coupled to the cfn format abstractions, so we can't (and won't) just
suddenly switch to something completely different - maintaining our
exisiting functionality is very important.

> And if not why cfn but not juju or CAMP?

The simple answer is it's way too much effort to natively support every
single template format anyone could possibly want.

Hence the summit discussion focussing on definining a superset of logical
abstractions/concepts which can be added to our existing internal model,
such that top-level translation from the various formats should be
possible.

As Thomas has pointed out, this translation can (and IMO should) be
something that gets started outside the Heat project, or at least outside
of our main codebase, e.g via tools/foo2heat.py standalone tools.

Steve