[openstack-dev] [Heat] Template repository location (infra guidance needed)

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 18:00:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 04:20:18PM +0000, Adrian Otto wrote:
> Steven,
>
> I don't think we need to use Stackforge at all anymore. Heat is integrated. Let's keep things simple, and use the Heat repo for Heat's work product. The way I see it is that if an OpenStack dev is creating a template as part of a Heat development effort, then the artifacts relating to that work belong in OpenStack.

Well this is basically what I was thinking when we were discussing
stackforge in the team, hence my question when starting this thread.

I agree that ideally this will be hosted under the openstack org (I'd
prefer this to stackforge if possible), but "the Heat repo" implies the
main openstack/heat repo, which I would prefer to decouple from example
templates, since they are example inputs not implementation (e.g it doesn't
make sense for users to have to install the service implementation to get
access to the example templates when Heat is packaged)

> We may want to consider a future setup where there is a central community repository where best practices for deployment of various applications and systems can be expressed as templates and stored in a registry or repo that can be browsed by OpenStack users. Think CPAN, or PIP. This is where templates could go that are not part of a coordinated release. That may or not belong in OpenStack, but I think that's actually a separate discussion.

Agree, this sounds like a good future idea but out of scope for the main
Heat project, I'm keen that we just have a reasonable number of tested
examples to demonstrate our functionality.

Ok, if Monty also says under the main openstack org then I'll kick of
requesting a new openstack/heat-templates repo (if anyone can direct me to
the process for this it would be helpful ;)

Thanks,

Steve