[openstack-dev] [OSLO][RPC] AMQP / ZeroMQ control_exchange vs port numbers

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Apr 24 14:35:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24 2013, Russell Bryant wrote:

> On 04/24/2013 10:10 AM, Eric Windisch wrote:
>> Sending aside sending, Ceilometer is already doing consumption
>> cross-project, receiving notifications from multiple control_exchanges
>> (at least where amqp is concerned).
>
> Yes, I'm aware that it's consuming notifications from multiple projects.
>  The patch in question is about enabling *sending* cross project.
> That's what I'm curious about.

The use case here is to send metrics to the Ceilometer collector
directly from other projects using openstack.common.rpc. To do that, you
have to send a message… on another control exchange.

As Eric points out, this is typically the same use case we already have,
just put in the opposite way: not having the Ceilometer collector
joining a bunch of other control exchange (that it may not know about in
advance), but having each project send its meters to the right place
directly (Ceilometer's control exchange).

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker / freelance consultant