[openstack-dev] [Heat] Template repository location (infra guidance needed)

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Apr 24 04:56:48 UTC 2013

On 04/23/2013 10:02 PM, Steve Baker wrote:
> On 04/24/2013 08:53 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've had some discussions recently within the team about creating a
>> "heat-templates" repo somewhere, for the following reasons:
>>
>> 1. Separate the existing example templates[1] from the main code repo
>> 2. Provide a central place for us to put/review new heat-native/dsl/HOT
>>    templates when we define/implement the syntax [2]
>> 3. Somewhere to put the oz TDLs we currently bundle with heat-jeos[3] so
>>    that we can deprecate that tool and replace it with a simple shell-script
>>    or documentation.
>>
>> So our discussions so far have revolved around creating a stackforge
>> "heat-templates" repo, which seems OK, but my question (for the
>> infra/release team) is, would it make more sense to make another repo under
>> the main openstack org, since these templates will be directly related to
>> Heat (although possibly not part of the coordinated release)?
>>
>> I'm happy to go ahead and create a stackforge repo if another repo under
>> the main openstack github org is deemed a bad idea, but wanted
>> clarification/guidance before proceeding.
>>
> I'm all for a stackforge repo, and for also using the repo for image
> building definitions. In some cases (eg the OpenShift templates) the
> heat template will be tightly coupled with the images they launch, so it
> would be nice to be able to change both in a single commit.

So, TripleO split out image building elements from the image builder
tool - so I certainly think the split is the right choice. :) Perhaps we
should have a chat about heat templates + jeos templates + dib elements
at some point.

We've also got the beginnings of a heat templates repo for refstack
that's also in the wrong place. So I think that makes potentially 4
different repos of templatey type things that need a home?