[openstack-dev] [Glance] Image Interchange Session Summary

Alex Meade alex.meade at rackspace.com
Tue Apr 23 14:38:25 UTC 2013

Image Interchange Session Summary

We (as in OpenStack) want to allow users to build in various clouds, but in order to do this we need to provide image conversion tools (or organize existing tools to make it easier on users).

https://etherpad.openstack.org/havana-image-interchange

Consensus:
* Cloud-init to become standard for initializing instances

* We never want to crack open the bits of an image to perform introspection for inserting/"installing" software or hypervisor performance tools.
 - Customers may not want us peering into their images
 - it would be greatly complex and vary based on distro
 - Instead things like xentools and virtio could be installed with cloud-init or config management

* Tools already exist for image conversion
 - qemu-img
 - libguestfs
 - virt-v2v
 - guestconv

Further discussion:
* Common image format that must be supported by an openstack installation (qcow seemed a leading option)

* Where should conversion happen?
 Options continued to surface:
 - Before image upload by some other tool
 - Let the hypervisor worry about it
 - Provide hooks for image conversion on upload and download

Next steps:
* Discuss next steps at the next Glance meeting (All are welcome)
 - Thursday, April 25th 20:00 UTC
 - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Glance

-Alex