[openstack-dev] [Heat] Future Vision for Heat

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Mon Apr 22 20:52:32 UTC 2013

Hi all,

a technical question or suggestion on the current architecture chart at the
Heat Vision wiki page: having multiple "Model Interpreter" boxes as in the
current diagram looks a bit confusing to me. What about having exactly one
interpreter in the final version, and this one interprets the core model
(Heat DSL) - probably this is what I would see in what is called "Model
Processor" at the moment. I.e. something that looks at a Heat DSL
Blueprint, analyzes the topology and derives the right steps from it.
The Heat REST API box would not need a "Model Interpreter" then. The box in
the green component on the upper right corner is something I would call a
"Model Translator" which takes an alternative format (like TOSCA, or later
cfn) as input and translates it to the core format which is then passed to
the Heat API.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Thomas

<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,
> Date: 22.04.2013 16:39
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] Future Vision for Heat
>
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:47:59PM +0000, Tripp, Travis S wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Was there discussion on what is the "short" term vs "long" term?
> More specifically, how much of this do you think we can count on for
Havana?