[openstack-dev] Instance with access to GPU, libvirt and hostdev

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Fri Apr 12 22:39:10 UTC 2013

On 10 April 2013 02:44, Guillaume Thouvenin <guillaume.thouvenin at bull.net>wrote:

> On 10/04/2013 11:32, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>  Oh, well that is LXC, rather than KVM so you have pretty
>> much zero security in anything.
>>

> Yes sure. In my mind the idea was to start one container for one physical
> machine. So the solution is more comparable to bare metal provisioning than
> hypervisors based solution. But when IOMMU is not available maybe it can be
> interesting.

There's two things here.

Firstly, it's increasingly rare to find new server hardware missing IOMMUs,
so you may be solving a problem that most people don't have.  That's up to
you...

Secondly, have you passed intel_iommu=on to your kernel (or whatever the
right flag is)?  I know the Ubuntu kernel, at least, needs the extra boot
parameter to enable it.