[openstack-dev] [Quantum] VXLAN support for linuxbridge

Eleouet Francois f.eleouet at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 09:41:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

Great! It opens new perspectives for Linuxbridge plugin!

I was actually also trying to implement a VXLAN LinuxBridge extension
leveraging the integrated proxy-ARP capabilities (this feature is supported
in 3.8 kernel, which should be included in havana's timeline distributions).

It could be and alternative to dataplane-based learning, that may raise
some scalability issues (see
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/ovs-tunnel-partial-mesh that
tries to solve generalized broadcast scalability issue on OVS pluging)

It's pretty hard to figure out how to distribute [mac, IP, VNID, agent_ip]
among agents to populate the proxy-arp, there are lots of alternatives... I
was expecting to discuss about them during the summit (
http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/263 should be a good place for that
talk)

Anyway, if two alternatives could merge peacefully, it seems to be is a
small issue in your proposal: as you explained in linuxbridge_config.ini,
VNIDs are globals in VXLAN module, putting them in NetworkState DB makes
them allocatable on a per-physicalNetwork basis. It could raise (netlink)
errors if several PhysicalNetworks are declared, wouldn't it be better to
use a separate DB as OVS plugin does in TunnelAllocation? Or maybe
modular-L2 should be revisited (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/modular-l2)?