[openstack-dev] Rackspace Plans Contributions to HEAT

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon Apr 8 17:53:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 12:23:33PM -0700, Debojyoti Dutta wrote:
> Sorry for the distraction, but there is a talk on recursive containers ...
> Thu
> http://openstacksummitapril2013.sched.org/event/34aad71296676e18af9111d12dba70b4
>
> Does HEAT do recursion? Community feedback would be awesome wrt if
> recursion helps in deploying complex app topologies. Remember talking to
> some folks after the Donabe talk during the Boston summit about recursion.
> I guess HEAT was post BOSTON.

I believe our support for nested stacks may meet your requirements for
recursive containers?

We support nested/composed user-defined templates, and also resource
implementation based on nested templates (for example see our LoadBalaner
and RDS resource implementations):

See the following for further information:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/NestedStacks
https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/templates/WordPress_Composed_Instances.template
https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/heat/engine/resources/loadbalancer.py

HTH,