[openstack-dev] Rackspace Plans Contributions to HEAT

Alan Kavanagh alan.kavanagh at ericsson.com
Fri Apr 5 15:51:03 UTC 2013

No I am not stating that, what I am saying is that for infr services that are provisioned via Openstack you do not need to have another API and another system to deal with that. I believe Openstack has a good enough Framework for folks to build their own logic for auto-scaling an infrastructure service that si deployed and managed via Openstack and that auto-scaling of a given infra service does NOT need to go through HEAT. I do see a lot of value and sue in Heat for when "applications" that are provisioned through say a PaaS layer on top of Openstack can definitely use HEAT API to do orchestration/auto-scaling etc through that API.

My point is you don’t need to build "yet another component" in Openstack to do something like auto-scaling and "mandate that this API" must be used to auto-scale for a given service. Lets be honest here, we need to provide a good framework and have sufficient input (notifications/triggering etc) provided by OS, but NOT state then auto-scale is done through HEAT for openstack infra inherest services like LB, that is ......well not very sensible. Of course I cant stop people from doing that, but most people will not use it!

BR
Alan