[openstack-dev] Request for feedback - Nova image building proof of concept

Ian McLeod imcleod at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 19:23:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 10:58 -0700, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> A whole bunch of work has already been done around image building from install media in a project called veewee:
>
> https://github.com/jedi4ever/veewee

And additional work to do this exists in Oz:

https://github.com/clalancette/oz

Which is used in the Image Factory project:

http://github.com/aeolusproject/imagefactory

However none of these tools use Nova to manage the install containers.
That is the primary point of the demonstration code I've posted.  I'm
unaware of any other tool that does this.

Both Oz and VeeWee could, in theory, be enhanced to support OpenStack
instances as another virt provider in which to perform installs using
the approach we're demonstrating here.

> It also might be worth looking at whether veewee could be mixed with the vagrant openstack provider:
>
> https://github.com/cloudbau/vagrant-openstack

As far as I can tell Vagrant has a hard requirement for working base
images as input.  It does not attempt to build base images from scratch,
they must be provided.  In that sense it seems similar to
baseimage-builder.

Tools like VeeWee and Oz (and potentially a builder based on our
demonstration) can provide this base input.