[openstack-dev] Rackspace Plans Contributions to HEAT

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Apr 3 16:27:17 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-02 15:46, Adrian Otto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Rackspace has resourced two dedicated development teams for the sole
> purpose of contributing new features and capabilities to OpenStack's
> HEAT project. We are very excited, and would like to share with you
> what we plan to design and contribute together with you:

Adrian this is fantastic news, WELCOME!

You and I have discussed Heat and Orchestration at length, and I'm
really excited to have you and your teams on board.

> 1) OPEN API & DSL - This allows templates to be agnostic to the
> underlying cloud and encourages community contribution for the
> betterment of all users across all cloud providers. We want a solution
> that does not depend on semantics from any single service provider. We
> think there is a way for HEAT to work equally well with CloudFormation
> templates, and a completely open template format as well.

+10, this becomes especially important as we work to use Heat to define
a deployment of OpenStack itself. (See TripleO and/or Refstack effort)

> 2) DECLARATIVE MODEL - Although CloudFormation Templates were
> designed to be declarative, in practice the templates are very
> imperative artifacts (for example, those that embed shell scripts).
> Templates that are expressed using a declarative approach are compact,
> simple, and portable between clouds that have different services
> available. We want the cloud implementation specific details to be
> handled by modules, not wired into the templates. Declarative modeling
> encourages broad contribution from the user base to improve the
> overall community library of available solutions. While modeling may
> be easy to implement, they are more difficult to expand to support
> generic cloud portable use cases.

Same as above. By leaving out the details of "How do I get this value
into that file at the right time?", the templates become more useful in
more contexts.

> 3) MODULAR IMPLEMENTATION - We want HEAT to be modular in a way
> that's consistent with the level of modularity offered in Nova,
> Quantum, Cinder and others where a common, extendable API is offered
> and a variety of extensions may be added for various back-end services
> and features. We want to keep the architecture as simple as possible
> while allowing individual cloud operators to add features and
> capabilities in a way that keeps templates crisp and portable.

Bring on the API/Template/etc. versioning and extensions. :)

> 4) AUTO-SCALE IMPLEMENTATION - The solution will allow deployments to
> scale up and down dynamically based on demand. We want to design and
> implement this with you. We have considerable experience and resources
> to bring with us. We have a dedicated team to contribute solutions
> here.

Definitely seems like the storm is gathering over auto scaling with
ceilometer providing metrics, multiple LBaaS implementations fighting it
out, and Heat gaining steam (no pun intended..) as "the thing that tells
OpenStack what to do".

> We look forward to discussing more with you at the Summit in
> Portland. Leaders from each of our new teams will be there ready to
> work with you on implementation details.

See you all there!