[openstack-dev] Quantum + ZeroMQ (with a sprinkling of Nova) in Folsom

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Tue Sep 25 17:28:07 UTC 2012

Russell, perhaps. The issue is that if the message format changes, it would be lower cost to do it now. Also, I'm moving this to the public list, because I agree that it is a good time to do it.

IF there is an RC3 for Nova, I'd like for consideration to get the message-format change in, because it reduces complexity for Grizzly (having to understand two formats), and because it will make the Quantum code supportable. This binary needs to move outside of Nova to avoid this unnecessary interdependency.

It might be resolvable by adding a version to the message format, but it doesn't solve the problem today - which, arguably, doesn't have to be solved. We can just release with the zeromq stuff broken in Quantum for Folsom, without any ability to backport, and I'm prepared for that to happen. I've just rallied for a best-effort to get it in, because it would be a nice to have, after finding out at F3 that it wouldn't work.

As it is, the patch that is already in Quantum should be enough to get us going for Folsom if we can also get the patch into Nova. The two patches pending review can be backported, if necessary.

Regards,
Eric Windisch