[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Extracting DNS from Nova into a service or Quantum

Martin, JC jemartin at ebay.com
Tue Sep 18 18:03:11 UTC 2012

Team,

I did not find any reference to a previous discussion on this topic. I would like to see if there is any interest in considering splitting DNS from Nova into its own service or into Quantum. I am aware of the nova-dns service developed by Grid Dynamics, and the current Nova implementation, and they would be a good base.

I believe that there is value in linking more closely IP address Management, DHCP and DNS provisioning which are, today, in Quantum. This would also allow for opening the door for a more generic purpose DNS as a Service capability, where tenants may even manage DNS resources that are not in the realm hosted and managed by openstack.

If there is support, we are willing to make this happen or collaborate with any project currently working on something similar.

Let me know,

Thanks,

JC.