[openstack-dev] [metering] flask or openstack style wsgi.py

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Mon Sep 10 11:23:18 UTC 2012

On Sep 10, 2012, at 5:23 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10 2012, Angus Salkeld wrote:
>
>> How do you guys feel about me changing flask to a more openstack style
>> wsgi implementation? So the suggestion is not flask sucks, but it is not
>> used anywhere else. We should really use it everywhere or nowhere. I think
>> the consistency across the openstack projects is really nice for people
>> that work across projects.
>
> Sure, one of our principles is to blend with others OS projects, so
> obviously Flask choice can seem weird.
>
> But actually, IIRC, I've discussed this with Doug, and we decided to go
> with Flask because it seemed that WSGI was a dead-end, and that other
> projects would be moving away from it. So what's the roadmap for other
> projects about this?

Not WSGI, paste.deploy. At the last summit we discussed dropping paste because it does not have python 3 support. No timetable was set.

I pushed the use of flask in ceilometer because when I looked at the WSGI libraries in nova they were not available in common and I didn't feel I had time to figure out which bits needed to be extracted to copy them into our project. I also found them to be more complex than I wanted to deal with, since I didn't find any tutorials for using them.

Why does openstack have it's own WSGI library? Does it provide special features necessary for making openstack services?

Doug