[openstack-dev] Configuration Options, APIs, Class Paths, Oh my!

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 13:34:09 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 09:27 AM, Eric Windisch wrote:

>> However, I'm not sure you can just arbitrarily configure a full class
>> path after these entrypoint patches.  (someone correct me if I'm wrong,
>> I haven't reviewed them yet)  It looks like all of the valid options are
>> defined in setup.py.  I think once you have patch code to make something
>> work, you're clearly doing something unsupported.
>
> I don't believe this is strictly the case. The idea is that any setup.py / setuptools script can register entrypoints. The entrypoints registry is global.
>
> I'm firmly in the camp of strong advocacy for 3rd party extensibility. I'm not so concerned with inter-release stability of those APIs, only that 3rd-party backends/plugins can be written against a stable release, even if that means refactoring the plugin to support a changed API in the next major version.

So that's the problem.  You are expecting these APIs to be stable, at
least within a release.  We are doing absolutely nothing to ensure that
is the case right now.  The fact that these config options were there
gave you that expectation, which is unfortunate, and I'd like to fix it.

--
Russell Bryant