[openstack-dev] [OSSG] OpenStack Security Group Task List

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Oct 24 13:50:29 UTC 2012

On 10/24/2012 09:13 AM, Mandell Degerness wrote:

> Seriously? There is a security environment where rsync is preferred
> over passwordless ssh? Raw rsync trusts the source that it is the ip
> address and user it says it is with no validation other than the use
> of a low numbered source port.

rsync over ssh.  He specifically mentions using passwordless ssh. rsync
is a binary as well as a line protocol, and here it is specifically
using ssh for the file transfer.

> -Mandell Degerness
>
> On Oct 23, 2012 8:39 PM, "??" <wenjianhn at gmail.com
> <mailto:wenjianhn at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have implemented a blueprint which solves a security problem
>     last month, but didn't push
>      the code yet.
>
>     https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/rysnc-without-ssh
>
>     It's description:
>
>     The disks are copied from source to destination via rysnc over ssh
>     during resizing/migrating.
>     It means that we will need a password-less ssh private key setup
>     among all compute nodes.
>     It is a security problem in some environment. This blueprint will
>     use rsync itself(not over ssh)
>     to copy/delete the disks.

This  last line is what, I think, is causing the confusion.  I assume
you mean "we will use rsync itself as  proof-of-concept until we have
the passwordless ssh solution."