[openstack-dev] Introducing Synaps project that provides AWS CloudWatch compatible API

Deok-June Yi june.yi at samsung.com
Thu Oct 11 05:53:32 UTC 2012

Hi Sam,

> Maybe it's related to this in the wiki: http://wiki.openstack.org/ResourceMonitorAlertsandNotifications and related BP: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-devops/+spec/resource-monitor-alerts-and-notifications
>
> Not sure if anybody started working on that. Hope it helps.

I thought that it would be better to implement another seperated project rather than inside of Nova.

Hi Doug,

> Ceilometer collects data for use by a billing system, but it is not itself a billing system. It sounds like Synaps collects metrics far more frequently than ceilometer does.
>
> Can you share a list of the things Synaps measures?

Thank you for your corrections, Doug.

Synaps can collect any metric if its value can be represented in double type just like AWS CloudWatch can.

- Currently we have Synaps agent so called VMMON that gets following metrics, CPUUtilization, DiskReadOps, DiskWriteOps, DiskReadBytes, DiskWriteBytes, NetworkIn and NetworkOut from hypervisors and send them to Synaps.
- If you have cloud service such as LBaaS or DBaaS, you can provide their metrics to your users easily by implementing an agent using Synaps API.
- Users can also put their own custom metrics from in-instance.

Thank you,
June Yi