[openstack-dev] Making pbr an Oslo package

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 30 09:07:11 UTC 2012

Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 11/26/2012 02:01 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>>    - How close do you think we are to being able to make a commitment to
>>      its API stability? Remember the rule we're aiming for in Oslo
>>      packages is that APIs need to be deprecated for two releases before
>>      they can be removed[1]
>
> Very. Its api hasn't changed - and since it is used already in EVERY
> OpenStack project and most of the OpenStack CI projects, it's already a
> nightmare to change its API :)
>
>>    - Are any projects using it yet? Catch 22 here, I guess, but I'm
>>      never too confident about any API until it has been used for a
>>      while.
>
> PBR, no. openstack.common.version|setup - all of them.
>
>>    - If we still have a bunch of work to do here, isn't pbr effectively
>>      in Incubation? Would it make sense to move it back into
>>      oslo-incubator for a while? At least that would reduce the
>>      confusion around the current stuff being stale.
>
> We could just ignore the pbr repo and consider the task "extract
> openstack.common.{version|setup} to oslo-build." OR, I could take the
> refactoring in pbr and move that back in to oslo-incubator first, then
> do the extraction. Or I could just rename pbr, give up on the setuptools
> bootstrap issue and start migrating projects to it. I'm game for any of
> them...

My preference would be to "take the refactoring in pbr and move that
back in to oslo-incubator first, then do the extraction". Going into the
incubator even for a short period of time lets us piggyback on a
well-known process (or a process that should become well-known).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack