[openstack-dev] [Notifications] Glance, Quantum et al.

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 15:56:42 UTC 2012

Hi,
Due to the patch https://github.com/openstack/glance/commit/3d532de we
have a problem running Quantum and Glance on devstack. This just opens a
pandoras box of problems. Glance sets the queue as durable, Quantum uses
the default value which is false - this causes an exception
"AMQPChannelException: (406, u"PRECONDITION_FAILED - parameters for
queue 'notifications.info' in vhost '/' not equivalent", (50, 10)".
The underlying problem is the way in which the notifications are
implemented. I am not really sure if and how this can be addressed as I
am not familiar with the code.

Various options to address the matter are all problematic:
1. Glance remove the patch
2. Quantum set queue flags as durable - may cause problems in Quantum
and glance as messages read from the queue are in round robin
3. Quantum/Glance to use a different topic name => Ceilometer will break
4. Wait till the notifications are fixed or addressed

In any case we need a work around for devstack so that this will not be
broken in the the interim period.

Any ideas and suggestions will be great.
Thanks
Gary