[openstack-dev] [keystone] On multiple project & domain scoping

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 11:08:52 UTC 2012

It seems to me that rather than asking for piecemeal extensions to the
current RBAC model, such as the addition of groups, domains, scoping
etc. we first need a model of the access control system that we want to
implement (eventually). Without a comprehensive access control model we
will simply end up patching bits of spaghetti to the existing system
until we will end with an unspecified model and/or a system that no-one
really understands, which will lead to access control "holes" through
which attackers can easily penetrate (and which might be difficult to
fix). So I would call first and foremost for a comprehensive access
control model to be documented in a blueprint before any further
"enhancements" are made to the code base - regardless of the perceived
urgency of each enhancement. It is critically important for a security
system, that people (especially administrators) can understand it, so
that they can manage it effectively. The more bolt ons and add ons that
are made without a clear description of what the overall model is, the
more difficult it will be for administrators to correctly administer.

regards

David