[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Re: proposal for quantum extension

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Wed Nov 28 19:10:52 UTC 2012

Adding openstack-dev

Hi Kiran,

This is an interesting topic, and one that is brought up from time to time.

In general, core OpenStack projects do not focus on the
provisioning/turn-up of the physical devices themselves, focusing instead
of the provisioning/turn-up of virtual devices on top of already deployed
physical infrastructure.  For example, nova does not image the compute
server, configure hypervisor IP addresses, or install
KVM/XenServer/Hyper-V/EX.  Rather, Nova assumes that these components have
been installed and creates virtual machines on top of them.  Similarly, I
would expect that Quantum would not tackle the basic configuration of your
physical networking gear (defining physical subnets, setting up management
connectivity, enabling SNMP for monitoring, etc.), but rather assumes a
base network config is in place and overlays the logical network
connectivity on top of it.

That said, I think automating the setup of the physical infrastructure is a
very interesting + valuable exercise in and of itself, and there are many
places where integration with Quantum would be very valuable to both
projects.  It may be that if this effort takes off, it would make sense to
host this as a sort of eco-system project, if it turns out that this is
what we do for other similar efforts around compute + storage.

Dan

--
Dan Wendlandt