[openstack-dev] [Cinder] LIO support in Cinder

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Tue Nov 27 16:38:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 08:12:59AM -0800, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> for this. It seems like the fastest path to using LIO would be to simply
> extend the tgt code to be able to use targetcli[1] in addition to tgtadmin
> and ietadmin. That seems like literally a few days of work.
>
> Integrating targetd sounds more complicated and I think it would be better
> done with its own driver. If you are managing volumes remotely I don't think you
> are going to get much benefit out of sharing the existing target code.
>
> Would you consider a dual approach? A quick-and-dirty version using targetcli
> to get lio support in, followed by a more general driver using targetd?

I think the "simple" driver using targetcli would fit the current cinder
model fairly well.  It would essentially just plug another class into
the abstraction between TgtAdm and IetAdm provided by
get_target_admin().

The way I understand targetd (and Andy may have to correct me) it
actually managed the backend storage using e.g. LVM as well.