[openstack-dev] Python and OS version support

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 12:52:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:28:07PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > b) We don't introduce things into master that would be unworkable on
> > either latest Ubuntu LTS or latest RHEL.
>
> Never say never. Honestly, if someone showed up with fairly well
> advanced support for Python 3.x and that meant we absolutely had to drop
> Python 2.6 support, I'd be the first to say we should do it.

I'm of the opposite opinion really. There may be nice things in Python
3.x, but when it actually comes down to it, the choice of 2.x vs 3.x
has little-to-no bearing on what features OpenStack supports, what
its user experience is, and what its deployment model is. What does make
a negative experiance as a person deploying / using OpenStack, is finding
out that your platform is too old and being forced to upgrade, or more
likely switch to an alternative cloud technology which does support your
current platform. IMHO, supporting Python 3.x adds little, and if it means
dropping 2.6 support, it could be considered actively harmful overall.

Meanwhile there are plenty of things we could be doing to improve the
quality / scalability / ease of deployment for OpenStack that are
relevant to both 2.x and 3.x and would have much more significant
benefit for end users / deployers / vendors. eg switch to use a real
OS threading system so we can actually utilization large SMP hosts
effectively

Regards,
Daniel