[openstack-dev] [nova][baremetal] Next step of Bare-Metal Provisioning

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Nov 27 03:30:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:39 AM, Ken Igarashi <50barca at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Devananda and all,
>
> I put those discussions at
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/GrizzlyBareMetalCloud.

Hi - looking at that now.

If I read correctly, these are the 'next step' bits - I've just kept
the headings, and replying here - I'll feed any consensus we get back
into the etherpad later.

Security group support
 - using openflow is ideal, but it would be good to have it work for
non-openflow too. One way would be by having the security group
exposed to the instance metadata service (if it is not already) and
hving the node configure iptables itself based on the metadata. I
don't think we have any immediate need for that though.

One nova compute supports multiple Hypervisors(kvm/xen/lxr etc), CPU
archs (x86, arm, tilera,…), power managers(IPMI, PDU,…) and
capabilities
 - I don't think this is needed at all if we permit multiple
nova-compute instances to run on one machine (e.g. by different
nova.conf files).

Snapshot for a bare-metal instance
 - This seems possible, but only by rebooting the machine. Certainly
its not something we need.

Access for Nova-Volume (cinder)
 - This is quite interesting, being able to run disks on cinder
volumes. A related thing would be boot-from-volume for bare metal.
Where the local disk is entirely ephemeral and we boot the machine off
of cinder.
 - probably PXE boot the ramdisk and kernel from cinder, iscsi mounted root.

Clear ephemeral disk after an instance termination (e.g. fill with zero)
 - Definitely interesting.
 - Two use cases: dispose of instance, and new-tenant
 - There are two non-wipe use cases I think:
   - 'redeploy instance' to deploy with the same ephemeral disk
   - deploying a new instance same tenant, so data security isn't
important, but time to deploy may matter a lot.
 - I wonder if (on suitable disks) we can just issue TRIM for the whole disk,

Discover BM Node (collect basic information for BM DB)
 - We have prototype code coming together for this

Improve an image deployment
 - This is very important for scaling.
 - iscsi is ok, but we need to stop needing a full image per bm node,
rather one image for all the nodes using the same image.
 - The bittorrent thing is perhaps longer term. Important for fast
mass deploys, but secondary to getting away from per-node fs
injection.
 - The biggest blocker to stopping the fs injection for baremetal is
getting DHCP available on all baremetal networks - so that all the
interfaces the physical machine has cabled get good DHCP. I've some
preliminary work on a quantum provider-network setup for this, but it
will need in-instance cooperation (again instance metadata seems like
a sensible handoff strategy).

Fault-tolerance of bare-metal nova-compute and database -
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bare-metal-fault-tolerance
 - There does not seem to be much on this spec yet, it just loops back
into the etherpad. I think its a good thing to have though.
 - A few quick thoughts
 - multiple -compute nodes listening on AMQP
 - replace the baremetal helper with nova-API, which has an existing HA story
 - Redundant DHCP via HA quantum-dhcp-agent
 - Redundant openflow agent

More CPU archs (arm) support
 - interesting but not on our immediate roadmap

Support a bare-metal node with one NIC (we need at least two NICs today)
 - very important to us

> Based on your comment, we docomo team start discussing the next step. We
> will let you know once we decide the direction for the next step.
>
> As for "disk image builder project", DOCOMO team are OK having a "stackforge
> project" if there is no overlap with other projects (e.g.
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/prebuilding-images).
> DOCOMO team can contribute bare-metal related ramdisk (e.g. Clear ephemeral
> disk, Discover BM Node).

Cool, we'll get that done. There is some overlap with HEAT, and we're
actively discussing with them the best way to collaborate.

-Rob
--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist