[openstack-dev] [Quantum] DHCP agent and LBaaS

Vinay Bannai vbannai at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:22:43 UTC 2012

Correct. The DHCP client sends a DHCP DISCOVER packet with IP SRC set to
0.0.0.0, IP DEST set to 255.255.255.255 and UDP source and destination port
set to 68/67 respectively.

The DHCP server responds with a DHCP OFFER with IP SRC of the server and IP
DEST of 255.255.255.255 but the DEST MAC is set to the client VM.

Vinay

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Dan Wendlandt <dan at nicira.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Gary Kotton <gkotton at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 11/26/2012 09:20 PM, Mark McClain wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I realized that my reply did not go back to the list.
>>
>>  The DHCP protocol is designed for active/active setups, so we don't
>> need to front it with a load balancer.  The protocol specifies how clients
>> should handle when servers go offline and lease renewals cannot be
>> completed.  You can get HA right now by starting more than one DHCP agent
>> instance on other hosts.
>>

>> If I understand correctly the IP address of the DHCP server is passed by
>> Nova to the VM. Which IP address will this be? If a load balancer is used
>> the address can be the same - that is a virtual IP.
>>

> DHCP server addresses are not passed to the VM, the VM sends a request to
> broadcast when it boots, and the DHCP server receives this message and
> responds.  Nova traditionally grabs the DHCP address in order to poke a
> hole in the VMs inbound security group filters to allow the DHCP server
> reply to reach the VM.
>
> Dan
>

>>  mark
>>
>>   On Nov 26, 2012, at 2:21 AM, Gary Kotton <gkotton at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>  On 11/26/2012 06:45 AM, Vinay Bannai wrote:
>>
>> I would agree that having a active/standby for DHCP agent makes a lot of
>> sense. We might want to leverage the VRRP infastructure for that.
>> I am not sure I understand clearly the need to have the DHCP agents sit
>> behind the load balancers. What are we trying to load balance here? The
>> amount of DHCP intermittent and transient to say the least with a heavy
>> bias towards more traffic at the time of a VM booting up.
>>

>> At the moment there are a number of problems with the DHCP agents:
>>     - single point of failure
>>     - it does not scale
>>
>> A simple solution to addressing the above is making use of a standard
>> load balancer (as depicted in the diagram below). This enables us to scale
>> and to have HA for the DHCP agents. I really like the solution and it
>> addresses a number of problems and concerns about the DHCP agents.
>>

>>  If we were to truly load balance we would need to keep the state of the
>> DHCP servers in sync (dynamically) as they would be allocating from a
>> common pool of resources. That might not be a problem that we would want to
>> inherit.
>>

>> Yes, a load balcner maintaining a persistent entry will ensure that the
>> leasing works correctly. In the event that a DHCP agent terminates
>> (maintenance, network issues, excpetion etc.) the the load balcner will
>> select another active DHCP agent. The advantage here is that the current
>> implementation has the DHCP agents all having the relevant host information
>> - i.e. the routes, ip address and mac address.
>>

>>  On the other hand, your suggestion to use VRRP would be a great idea
>> for those use cases where the L3 agent and the DHCP agent would be
> [...]

Vinay Bannai
Email: vbannai at gmail.com
Google Voice: 415 938 7576