[openstack-dev] [nova] adding cells commands to nova-manage? alternatives?

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Nov 26 13:49:29 UTC 2012

As part of the series of cells patches for nova, there is one that adds
a number of new commands to nova-manage that do direct database actions
- https://review.openstack.org/#/c/15229

The consensus that seemed to come out of design summit was that
nova-manage should be stripped of all it's db access (except for
db-sync, for the obvious reason). That was somewhat codified in this
blueprint - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/apis-for-nova-manage

Cells adds some complexity here. So to this it worth getting a more
broad discussion outside of gerrit going on.

I'll let Chris explain the approach from a cells perspective, and
hopefully we can figure out if there is a way to handle this and still
work on nova-manage removal.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague