[openstack-dev] [Quantum] DHCP agent and LBaaS

Vinay Bannai vbannai at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 04:45:10 UTC 2012

I would agree that having a active/standby for DHCP agent makes a lot of
sense. We might want to leverage the VRRP infastructure for that.
I am not sure I understand clearly the need to have the DHCP agents sit
behind the load balancers. What are we trying to load balance here? The
amount of DHCP intermittent and transient to say the least with a heavy
bias towards more traffic at the time of a VM booting up.

If we were to truly load balance we would need to keep the state of the
DHCP servers in sync (dynamically) as they would be allocating from a
common pool of resources. That might not be a problem that we would want to
inherit.

On the other hand, your suggestion to use VRRP would be a great idea for
those use cases where the L3 agent and the DHCP agent would be co-located.
The problem of keeping the state in sync would still have to be dealt with
but is not as severe as the load balancing case.

Just my thoughts.
Vinay