[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Multiple publisher and transformer

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Sat Nov 24 12:47:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 23 2012, Eoghan Glynn wrote:

> Isn't the Counter just a tuple of name-value pairs?

Yes it is a named tuple.

> Interesting thought. I think the generic renaming approach could work
> for the simplest cases, but say the CW transformer also had to construct
> a few different dimensions for the metric?
>
> For example for an instance metric, it would set the ImageId dimension
> to the image UUID, the InstanceId dimension to the instance UUID, the
> AutoScalingGroupName dimension to some other value taken from the instance
> metadata.

Nothing goes against a transformer that could receive one "counter" and
returns several "counters".

> In that case, the logic in the CW transformer would probably have to
> be hand-crafted instead of being generic.

I would say that, with luck, the pipelining and the configuration of the
transformer would have to be hand-crafted in a default provided
configuration file. But not sure about the general approach:, maybe we
can stick with general purposed tranformers and provide a sane and
useful default configuration for CW and others.

At least let me hope to be generic. :)

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker & freelance