[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] model for ceilo/nova interaction going forward

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 23 11:20:11 UTC 2012

Eoghan Glynn wrote:
>>> Currently ceilo is aiming to at least address both metering and
>>> user-oriented-monitoring, and possibly more in time.

>>> Probably, but the scope of ceilo has widened a bit from pure
>>> metering.
>>
>> Right. From a far remove, that looks like a mistake at this early
>> stage.
>
> OK, well its a point we've gotten to after a lot of discussion
> (at the summit and even prior to that) and the widening of scope
> was also made clear at the TC meeting that endorsed ceilo for
> incubation.

(With my TC hat on)

One of the positive aspects that led Ceilometer being accepted in
Incubation is its lightweight approach to integration with other core
projects, and how little constraints it placed on those.

Widening the Ceilometer scope to general monitoring sounded like a good
idea, but if going this way forces us to dump its lightweight approach
to integration and make core projects and release management jump
through process hoops, it doesn't sound too much like a good idea anymore.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack