[openstack-dev] [cinder][oslo]Getting filter scheduler into Olso?

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Nov 21 19:33:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Huang Zhiteng <winston.d at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to port filter scheduler (as well as host_manager(),
> host_state(), filters, cost functions stuff) from Nova to Cinder.
> While we are trying to get the change to land in G1, Russell raised
> point that since majority of the code is shared between Nova and
> Cinder, then we should get filter scheduler into Olso. IMO, this is
> doable but it may take more effort to refactor the scheduler to adopt
> the need of two projects than simply porting.  From Cinder's
> perspective, it really needs this feature to allow real/sophisticated
> placement decision to be made in order to support board choice of
> storage back-ends, due to the fact that chance/simple scheduler are
> just toys.
>
> If this is the right thing to do, let's discuss how should we do it
> and make sure we can land it before G2 since we were targeting this
> feature to G1 for Cinder.  Any thought/comment/suggestion?  Thanks.
>

> --
> Regards
> Huang Zhiteng

Hi Huang,

Russell and I touched on this a bit in a conversation yesterday, I totally
agree that we should strive to move a good chunk of this in to common/oslo.
 Also I'd rather push the feature out of G1 for Cinder than miss the
opportunity, I think both Nova and Cinder (and perhaps others going
forward) would benefit from this.  As you mentioned also, if folks are
agreeable I'd like to see this land early in G2.  If nothing else we can
use that version in Cinder and the effort/work to migrate Nova can be
deferred or picked up as a second phase of the change.

Thanks,
John