[openstack-dev] Host missing UUID

Irena Berezovsky irenab at mellanox.com
Wed Nov 21 08:02:35 UTC 2012

Hi,
Going through the nova REST API majority of the resources have associated UUID attribute.
Host resource does not have an UUID attribute:
v2/{tenant_id}/os-hosts/{host_name}

As far as I understand currently hostname is used to uniquely identify the host. I would like to add UUID attribute to host resource.
My idea is to add the system UUID (such as the one from dmidecode command).
In order  to support it, I think the following is required:

1.       Add UUID to nova DB  - Which tables (compute_nodes?)

2.       Add extension attribute to nova api v2/{tenant_id}/os-hosts

3.       Add support to nova client for extended UUID attribute.

Is there anything else required to implement this feature?

Will appreciate your inputs,
Thanks a lot,
Irena