[openstack-dev] DB Migrations - switch to Alembic

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Nov 20 13:37:40 UTC 2012

On 11/20/2012 03:21 AM, Endre Karlson wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone has tested using alembic as a tool for
> OpenStack projects instead of SQLA Migrate?
>
> I'm wanting to use alembic for new projects (Moniker and Bufunfa)
> instead of migrate if possible.
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/nova-backportable-db-migrations

IIRC from that room at summit, the issue that triggered that sessions
would have been made worse by Alembic, as the backported migration would
have to be *exactly the same*, not equivalent. The general consensus was
that while migrations has their issues, Alembic didn't make it better,
it just had different issues.

My personal suggestion is to not be different on something like this,
but it's your project. :)

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague